With the unpredictable weather in this country, we never know what we’re going to get from one week to the next. As I type this, it’s frosty outside and I’ve just had to de-ice my van. Yet, the day before was rather mild.
You boiler is an integral part of your home, it’s often easy to neglect it and take it for granted. There are a few simple things you can do to reduce the chance of a breakdown when you rely on it the most:-
- If it’s a condensing boiler, and the condensate pipe is run outside (white plastic pipe usually) make sure this is lagged with insulation as if this freezes, your boiler will cut out.
- Ensure the motorised valves and pump in your airing cupboard aren’t smothered in towels or clothing, they need a bit of air to circulate around them, as they can overheat and malfunction, again, leaving you with no heating or hot water, and potentially a high repair bill. See images for an example of a motorised valve and central heating pump
- Ensure your boiler is regularly serviced and maintained (see earlier blog post)
- Consider taking out a monthly service/maintenance plan. Our plans start from as little as £5/month
- If it’s well past it’s sell by date, start putting some money aside for a replacement
These are all simple steps you can take to ensure you’re not left in the cold. Not many things like being cold, penguins do (I think!) maybe polar bears too.
But you’re not a polar bear, are you?
Get in touch to see how we can help you stay warm at email@example.com